- Metabolic disease characterized by hyperglycemia caused by defective insulin secretion and/or action
- results in long-term multi-organ complications.
- can now be found in almost every population in the world and epidemiological evidence suggests that, without effective prevention and control programmes, its prevalence will likely continue to increase globally.
- Polyuria, polydipsia, weight loss despite polyphagia
- Blurred vision
- Growth impairment
- Increased susceptibility to infections
Classification of diabetes mellitus
- Type 1 diabetes (ß-cell destruction, usually leading to absolute insulin deficiency)
- Immune mediated
- Type 2 diabetes
–insulin resistance with relative insulin deficiency
–secretory defect with insulin resistance
- Gestational diabetes
- Secondary diabetes